The world’s largest travel site, TripAdvisor, has named the world’s best hotel in its 15th annual Travellers’ Choice Awards, based on millions of reviews and opinions from travellers across the globe.
Aria Hotel in Budapest took out the No.1 spot for 2017.
Opened in early 2015, the luxurious music-themed boutique hotel in Hungary has an average rate of AU$382 (NZ$397) a night according to TripAdvisor.
The former bank houses 49 rooms in a seven-storey neoclassical building, split into four wings inspired by opera, jazz, classical and contemporary music.
Created by famous Library Hotel Collection founder, hotelier Henry Kallan, the hotel features an underground spa, a rooftop bar and a garden courtyard that offers a complimentary cheese and wine reception every afternoon.
Portraits of composers and performers including Beethoven, Frank Sinatra and Claude-Achille Debussy hang on the walls and there are daily live piano performances.
Of the 719 reviews on TripAdvisor for the property, 568 rate the palace as excellent with most of the reviewers citing the hospitable staff, inclusions and musical experience.
“From the minute we arrived we were treated like the most important people in the hotel. The hotel itself is so beautiful that I would happily not gone outside at all” wrote guest Margaret S.
Ubud, Indonesia took out second place with a higher average rate of $666 a night. This was followed by Turnin Palace Hotel in Turnin, Italy, which drops down to an average price of $238 a night.
The most expensive stay in the TripAdvisor top 10 was the JA Manafaru, a luxury resort in the Maldives, that will set you back $1075 a night.
The Travellers’ Choice awards take into account the quality and quantity of reviews specific to each award category, according to TripAdvisor.
Taking the No.1 spot for New Zealand was Quest Rotorua Central which has a five-star rating on TripAdvisor.
More than 500 reviewers gave the 36-unit apartment hotel a five-star rating – the most you can give on the website.
The Hinemoa Street hotel is run by Colin and Lisa MacPhee who have experience working with luxury accomodation Huka Lodge and Cape Kidnappers.
“We recognise that the accommodation industry is more than bricks and mortar and location,” Colin said.
“It is a privilege to have achieved such high standing on Trip Advisor, something that we take great pride in and thank our wonderful guests, for recognising the service they have received from our amazing team.”
THE TOP 10 HOTELS IN THE WORLD.
- Aria Hotel Budapest – Budapest, Hungary. Average rate of $382 a night. Most affordable month to visit: March ($334).
- Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve – Ubud, Indonesia. Average rate of $666 a night. Most affordable month to visit: May ($595).
- Turin Palace Hotel – Turin, Italy. Average rate of $238 a night. Most affordable month to visit: August ($197).
- Hotel The Serras – Barcelona, Spain. Average rate of $557 a night. Most affordable month to visit: January ($327).
- BoHo Prague Hotel – Prague, Czech Republic. Average rate of $277 a night. Most affordable month to visit: February ($184).
- Portrait Firenze – Florence, Italy. Average rate of $895 a night. Most affordable month to visit: February ($543).
- Shinta Mani Resort – Siem Reap Province, Cambodia. Average rate of $199 a night. Most affordable month to visit:June ($175).
- Hanoi La Siesta Hotel & Spa – Hanoi, Vietnam. Average rate of $135 a night. Most affordable month to visit: June ($121).
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas – Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Average rate of $428 a night. Most affordable month to visit: October ($262).
- JA Manafaru – Haa Alif Atoll, Maldives. Average rate of $1075 a night. Most affordable month to visit: June ($898).